In Saturday’s game, the Admirals came up just short against a great goaltending performance and a solid Charlotte Checkers team.
In the rematch on Sunday afternoon, the Admirals played arguably their flattest game of the season, losing to the Checkers 5-1.
This is going to be a choose-your-own-adventure recap.
For the glass-is-half-empty-sky-is-falling details, flip to page 22. For the don’t-panic details, flip to page 46.
-Atte Engren started the game in net. He faced two shots and allowed two goals, before being replaced by Jeremy Smith. Engren’s night was done after 3:23.
– Smitty fared marginally better, but was still tagged for three goals of his own.
– Admirals were outshot 17-6 in the first period, and outscored 3-0.
– Admirals 0-4 on the power play in the game.
– Admirals didn’t score until the last minute of the game and had no fire for most of the contest.
– Chet Pickard is 4-6 in Cincy, with a 2.80 GAA and .895 save percentage, in case you want to start a Chet watch.
– The Admirals were by far the slower team. The Checkers were ready to play and the Admirals weren’t.
– The Admirals will slip to 3rd place in the Midwest Division, regardless of how the Chicago/Peoria game ends this evening.
– You can read the Checkers recap if you need to know the details of how they scored.
– The team is now 0-3 this season wearing the blue jerseys.
– The Admirals played better after the 1st intermission, outshooting the Checkers 26-12 the rest of the way.
– Gabriel Bourque scored his first of the year, finishing a nice tic-tac-toe play with 56 seconds left in the contest.
– Sometimes you go up against a hot goaltender. Yesterday it was Mike Murphy, today it was Justin Peters. It happens.
– The Checkers are a good team. They’re in first place for a reason. They’re fast, they’ve got great depth, and a two-headed goaltender monster.
– Here’s what I imagine Kirk Muller would have said after the game to the media. “We need to be better, and we’ve got stuff to work on and we’ll work on it. It’s a young team, but really, it’s just one game. We’ll learn from it, and we’ll be better on Tuesday.”
For an update on how the Mo-vember mustaches are going, flip to page 77. For the Belfast Giants “All I Want For Christmas Is You” video, flip to page 83. For discussion questions, flip to page 96.
How much longer do you think it is until we actually go on Pickard-watch?
Are you alarmed by the number of eggs the team has laid this season? Are you amazed that they’re where they are in the standings despite their eggs?
What do you expect from the team on Tuesday against Abbotsford?