The race to backup Jeremy Smith to start the season has been won by Atte Engren, with the news that Chet Pickard has been assigned to the ECHL.
And depending on which horse you supported in the race, there are lots of different conclusions that you may…um….conclude…..from that move. Purely speculation at this point.
- Atte is the better goalie.
- Chet needs to play the majority of the games for the benefit of his development. He can do that in Cincy.
- Nothing more than a demotion for Chet.
- Coaches weren’t that impressed by either of the goalies…they just flipped a coin.
- Atte may not have accepted an assignment to Cincy, and gone back to Europe instead.
Personally, my first thought is that he’s going to Cincy to get the work. If he stays in Milwaukee, he may just see the ice during the middle games of the 3-in-3 sets, or in relief of Smitty if he doesn’t seem so sharp one night. And from a developmental standpoint (and yes, the Preds are still trying to develop the guy), keeping him in Milwaukee might stunt the growth that they’re looking for.
But we’ll see if we can get an official comment from the Coach to try to clear up the motivation behind the decision.