Noonan and Oligny Cincinnati Bound

(Photo Credit: Scott Paulus)

(Photo Credit: Scott Paulus)

The Nashville Predators have reassigned defenseman Garrett Noonan from the Milwaukee Admirals to the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL. In addition, defenseman Jimmy Oligny has been loaned by the Admirals to the Cyclones.

Noonan split last season between the AHL (40 games) and ECHL (23 games). As for Oligny, he managed to avoid any sort of ECHL stint in his first full-pro season last year. He played 53 games for the Admirals in the 2014-15 season while tallying 5 points (1 goal, 4 assists).

The two defensemen exit the Admirals just prior to the team’s home opener and leave the defensive numbers at six. Both Noonan and Oligny were healthy scratched for the season opening 5-1 defeat at Chicago on Saturday.

Surprised to see these two get sent down to the ECHL? Do you feel that Jonathan Diaby is being preferred regardless of performance to Noonan?

Be sure to follow Admirals Roundtable on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and see our photos on Instagram.

7 Responses to Noonan and Oligny Cincinnati Bound

1. SmoothJazZ85 says:

diaby offers size and toughness noonan has more offense

2. Glenn says:

I would think that Nashville views Diaby’s ceiling as NHL level whereas the other two not so much, so yes I think Diaby will continue to get more rope so to speak. Maybe Noonan can go to Cincy and get 1st pairing minutes and then make the jump like Bitetto and Aronson did after their ECHL time. Last year we looked like we had too many defensemen and by the end of the year we were scrambling so I doubt we’ve seen the last of either this season.

3. Toasted Whole Grain says:

DL, could you please describe the difference between “reassigning” and “loaning”? To me, I would rather be Noonan in this situation, it sounds like he can get called back up whereas Oligny being “loaned” doesn’t sound as good – makes me think of KHendo being loaned to the stars a couple seasons ago.

4. TWG: Noonan is under contract to the Nashville Predators (specifically still on his entry-level deal). Oligny is signed to the Milwaukee Admirals and not the Predators. So, Nashville has the say-so in Noonan’s placement but not Oligny’s. Oligny needs to be loaned to Cincinnati to be placed at the ECHL level at the behest of Admirals orders.

5. predsfans says:

I am surprised by this move especially hearing about how the defense played last week. I liked Olignys play last year and I saw Noonan play in a preseason game with the Predators and thought he moved the puck well and played very good. If Milwaukee has this problem with depth of D I guess it is good problem to have in case of injury but it could affect the players development. Maybe the Admirals and Nashville should start looking at moving some of these D for fowards.

6. Toasted Whole Grain says:

Thanks DL! Makes all the sense now. Bummer for Jimmy’s wife and little girl who apprently just moved here to the 414. (According to the ‘gram)

7. Onetimer says:

I didn’t think Diaby skated well enough last year, to ever hope to be in the NHL