Admiral of the Month: January

(Photo Credit: Scott Paulus)

Viktor Arvidsson exploded offensively in January as the Admirals won ten out of twelve games from the month. (Photo Credit: Scott Paulus)

In December it was a struggle to choose the top performing Admiral in the month almost due to the lack of performances. You absolutely can’t say that about January. The team went 10-2-0-0 on the month and there are so many players worthy of the nod. My choice? Actually, my choice was a quite simple one. The Admiral for the Month of January was Viktor Arvidsson.

In January the Swede erupted offensively by producing 13 points (6 goals, 7 assists) in twelve games. He had a scoring streak of six games on the back-end of the Admirals franchise record nine game winning streak.

To put his January performance into perspective think of this. In November he scored 7 points (2 goals, 5 assists) in twelve games. The next month he tallied even less with 5 points (3 goals, 2 assists) in twelve games. He averaged more than a point per game in January. And, for all the winning that occurred, half of his goals scored in January were game-winners.

Arvidsson had his share of highlight reel goals in the past month but take a moment to appreciate his all around game as well. When you think about the times Pontus Åberg has been listed as a healthy scratch for doing too many individualistic plays on the puck, looking to make YouTube magic all over again, it isn’t something that has plagued his fellow countryman. Arvidsson makes the dazzling plays but he’s smart enough on and off the puck to make chances like that a little less high-effort. Play the right way? Do the right things? Arvidsson has been applying the Dean Evason philosophy and has been doing it at a high rate of speed.

Other Admirals who had a great January: Brendan Leipsic, 10 assists (AHL All Star hat trick)… Anthony Bitetto, 11 points (1 goal, 10 assists)… Colton Sissons, 8 points (6 goals, 2 assists)… Austin Watson, 7 points (4 goals, 3 assists)… Magnus Hellberg, 6-2-0-0 record (1.80 goals against average, 0.933 save percentage, 2 shutouts)… Marek Mazanec, 5-0-0-0 record (1.22 goals against average, 0.947 save percentage, 1 shutout).

~Admiral of the Month Award~

October: Brendan Leipsic
November: Magnus Hellberg
December: Marek Mazanec
January: Viktor Arvidsson

Who was your pick for the top performing Admiral in the month of January? Please write a comment down below as to who and why.

Be sure to follow Admirals Roundtable on Twitter, like us on Facebook, and see our photos on Instagram.

This entry was posted in Feature. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Admiral of the Month: January

1. Sweden says:

Its very obvious that you dont like Aberg

2. Mark Sumner says:

I wouldn’t say that Sweden. He scores a bunch for us, and I think he’s a relatively popular player here because of that. He’s just pointing out that he’s been benched a couple games because he tries to do too much with puck once in a while.

3. Sweden says:

I understood that. I just wonder what that had anything to do with player of the month

4. Sweden says:

Why… Not what… 😄

5. Sweden: I’m just pointing out that Arvidsson, for as many highlight goals as he put up this month, doesn’t get himself in trouble by turning pucks over. He’s smart and knows the right time to pull a skill play out of the bag without hurting the team. It’s no shot at Aberg. I have no clue how it’s obvious I don’t like Aberg. The kid is right there with Arvidsson in terms of skill set he’s just going through the North American hockey learning process a little slower in his development is all. I think he’s going to be a quality player. Takes much more than a few bad plays for me to “not like” someone. …hate is a strong word. Don’t think I’ve come across a hockey player that I truly don’t like – especially with our group.

6. Sweden says:

Ok. Lets hope Aberg gets smarter then.
    Hope they ALL have a good game tonight. Go Admirals!

7. Sweden: Aberg is the leading scorer for the Admirals against the Monsters this season. *thumbs up*

8. Sweden says:

👍it really doesnt matter WHO scores. As long as its somebody..😄

9. Talent-wise Aberg is a star in the making. I love watching him play. Honestly, I think there is there more potential with him then there might be with Filip Forsberg, and look at how he’s handling himself in the NHL! But I agree with Daniel that he needs a little more time to work on rounding out his game. Arvidsson is a little more polished now, but I don’t think his upside is quite as high as Aberg’s. Who knows, I could be wrong there.

Then their is Fiala, who has all sorts of tools, but is just young yet. I like Jarnkrok’s potential too as a player poised for a bigger role in the NHL soon (even though he’s already there), and then there is Austin Watson, Colton Sissons and Miikka Salomaki, all growing prospects. Impressive to see how David Poile and Paul Fenton have stocked up the forward cupboard. Their is a lot of forward talent here in Milwaukee right now that isn’t far away from taking places in the NHL. Talk about a nice luxury to have, especially with all of those short-term contracts for the rostered players on the Predators. Lots of hungry players nipping at their heels.

10. Pingback: Arvidsson Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month | Admirals Roundtable