Five out of a six possible points? That’s a good weekend.
With both teams playing their third game in three days Sunday afternoon, the Admirals were able to capitalize on Rampage mistakes, and win the matinee 3-1.
Here’s the Coach Ian Herbers High Level Summary, sponsored by Google Maps.
After a scoreless first period, Kyle Wilson put the Admirals on the board. Scott Valentine carried the puck from the goal-line to just about the offensive blue-line, and he fired a wrister on net. Former Admiral Dov Grumet-Morris didn’t send it to the corner or cover it….it kicked right out to the left face-off circle, where Wilson was crashing. Grumet-Morris was far out of his net challenging Valentine’s shot, so he had some distance to get back in the net, and Wilson had lots of room to shoot.
The Rampage tied it up later in the second period while on a 5-on-3 power play. Recent acquisition Jon Matsumoto was the recipient of a nice pass from Bill Thomas in the slot, and he finished a bang-bang play for the goal.
In the third period, it was a bad play by Nolan Yonkman that sparked the game-winner. (We’ve seen that movie before, haven’t we?) Yonkman tried to feed Scott Timmons to start a rush, but Kyle Wilson was able to control the puck and send it towards the net. Ryan Flynn was all alone in front of Grumet-Morris, and was able to deflect it past him.
Two home games in a row where we’re talking to Flynn after the game.
Another two point night for Kyle Wilson, who coach said has been playing very well for quite some time.
Chris Mueller added his team-leading 24th goal of the season into an empty net with 40.3 seconds left. The Ads iced the puck, but Mueller won the race, and had an easy tap-in after a friendly bounce from the end boards sent the puck back in front of the crease.
Same lines we’ve seen for a bit.
Henderson – Lajunen – Puustinen
Dupont – Mueller – Beck
Flynn – Wilson – Thang
Champagne – Ryan – Stortini
– Great to see them finish a team off in the third period. Coach saw a lot of things that he liked tonight.
– Smith very sharp again in net. Good weekend for the goalies. One goal against in regulation each night. Still being out-shot though….
– That’ll be the last we see of Ellis for awhile. Here’s coach on his status, along with Laakso, Latta, and Van Guilder.
– This was my favorite moment from the post-game chat with the Coach. Sorry Dave Boehler, I have to play the whole exchange.
– You got three games with Ellis this weekend. It was nice to have him back. Do you think he’s going back to Nashville to pack his bags again in the next 24 hours? Do you think the Preds have the cahones to deal him?
– Yonkman. Did his play give you flashbacks
– Surprised Sloan got five minutes for his hug? I kid….but he actually had a pretty good game, we thought.
– What’s wrong with Ryan Thang? Too many coulda-woulda-shoulda’s from him. He’s not finishing, and he needs to be finishing.
– Do you feel better about the team after this strong weekend?