The Admirals scoring woes continued against the first place Charlotte Checkers, but they were able to salvage a point in the standings in a 2-1 OT loss at the Bradley Center. It’s their 10th straight loss against a division opponent.
Zac Dalpe scored the game winner, as he was all alone at the left doorstep, after a Justin Krueger shot from the point bounced off Jerome Samson. Dalpe beat goaltender Atte Engren up high for the winner with 12.5 seconds left in the overtime period.
Here are three descriptions of the play.
Obviously the offense couldn’t get on track, but Coach Herbers was happy with how the defense kept the Checkers in check for the most part.
The Checkers got on the board first. A Nicolas Blanchard shot from the right point was saved by Engren, but he didn’t couldn’t find the puck. Former Badger Sean Dolan did, as he was camped on the right doorstep, and he put it in to give the Checkers the 1-0 lead.
The Ads had a four minute power play late in the first period, but came away empty-handed.
With 1:15 left in the 2nd period, Kyle Wilson tied it up. Joel Champagne created a turnover at center ice, and fed Ryan Thang at the blue line. While the defensemen were focused on Thang, Kyle Wilson took a tap pass from Thang, split the D, and went in all alone on Muse.
Beck – Mueller – Van Guilder
Champagne – Wilson – Thang
Henderson – Geoffrion – Puustinen
Dupont – Lajunen – Stortini
Blum & Ford, Laakso & Bartley, Sloan & Foss
– Kevin Henderson is the new guy. And Coach Herbers talks about what he will hopefully be bringing to the team.
– Didn’t like the Blum and Ford pairing. It’s great that Ford is a stay-at-home guy to compliment Blum, but he shouldn’t be the guy that has to bail out Blum multiple times every game. Blum owes both Ford and Engren some steaks.
– Interesting seeing Van Guilder on a wing.
– I liked Stortini tonight. The fight was kind of meh, but it was good that he went right away after the Checkers goal. Sloan’s fight? Didn’t see what happened behind the play to spark the fight, but I was pretty surprised to see #89 drop the gloves.
– Ryan Flynn remains day to day with his injury.
– Peoria comes to town Sunday Sunday Sunday.
So Roundtable….first game back from the Texas roadtrip…. give me the name of one guy that stood out in a good way, and one guy that stood out in a bad way.