After a disappointing effort against the Wolves on Saturday, the Admirals rebounded with a much better performance Tuesday night, beating the Wolves 3-2 in a shootout.
I won’t go into the descriptions of each goal, as the highlights speak for themselves, and the play-by-play guys do a pretty good job with analysis. But I’ll share some thoughts…
– Some fluky goals against tonight, and the interesting thing is that’s not usually how the Wolves beat you. It’s usually skill, speed, power-play, and crashing the net. But the two goals? A long shot catching Dex cheating, and a play where Dex kind of taps it in himself. Despite those goals, good marks to Dekanich and the defense for neutralizing the high powered offense.
– Dex really did settle down after that first goal. Very poised, and stayed that way with all the chaos around him, and getting run into a few times. The Admirals had a goaltending interference penalty called in their favor tonight, with Riley Holzapfel bowling into Dekanich at the end of the second period. That was the penalty that gave the Admirals the power play that they tied the game with. The Wolves complained was that Holzapfel was pushed by Brett Palin, but I’m not sure the physics work out in their favor. Palin was late with his push, and had he been successful, I think it would have pushed Holzapfel wide of the net. Yes, he did get a get a little bit of Holzapfel, but I think Riley still had time and space to avoid contact with Dekanich. I think it was the right call. But I had the benefit of replays….the ref had to make a call on a bang-bang play. In defense of the Wolves, the ref did let a ton of stuff go, and a lot of that was to Milwaukee’s advantage.
– Touching on the 2nd Wolves goal for a moment. The ref didn’t have a good angle on the puck, and I think one could make the argument (Lane probably tried to) that the play should have been blown dead as soon as he lost site of the puck. The camera angles were great, but the ref doesn’t have those. He didn’t call it a goal right away, but after discussion with the linesmen, and a conversation on a phone in the penalty box area, the play was ruled a goal. I’m certainly not arguing that the puck didn’t cross the line, and credit the goal judge for being on top of it. We’re able to read Lane’s lips in the highlight video…I’d be interested to know what the ref said back to him.
And Wolfkeeper (or anyone else who may know) — is the league testing out video replay in the All-State Arena? Any idea who was on the other end of that Bat-phone call?
– Great special teams from the Admirals. Great puck movement on the power play. Some nights pucks bounce over sticks at the blue line and passes aren’t clean. Tonight they moved the puck well, and won battles down low to spend a lot of time in the attack zone during their power play chances.
– I’d be interested to know what Lundmark was yapping about after his shootout goal. But man….Mannino looked like a different goalie in the shootout. If you’re going to try to poke it away like that he did on Lundmark’s attempt, you better get it.
– After going backhand and forehand on previous shootout attempts/penalty shots against the Wolves, Klasen goes five-hole. Way to keep ’em guessing! Pretty good offensive night for Klasen on the stat sheet, and overall play too.
– Took the camera folks less than 3 minutes to put my wife and I on the Megatron. Grand. We elected to find some new seats.
– 3 stars on the box score? Not the 3 that were announced. Mannino and Machacek were in the original announcement, if I recall correctly…
– Preds are playing the Blackhawks Wednesday night, and the Preds brass made the trip to Rosemont tonight. I had the chance to talk with Coach Trotz and Mr. Poile, and we’ll share some of their thoughts with you over the holiday break.
Discussion? Watch the highlights and opine away!