After their drubbing of the Admirals at the Bradley Center last Friday, the Grand Rapids Griffins didn’t exactly dominate the game tonight. But they were able to capitalize on Admirals miscues and skate away with a 3-2 victory.
Call it one of the worst starts of the year. Whistled for two penalties in the first two minutes of the game, the Griffins capitalized on the 5-on-3 power play. Jamie Tardif deflected a shot from the point by Derek Meech.
While the Admirals were able to hold them off the scoreboard for the rest of the period, the Griffins were able to hold the Ads off the SHOT-CHART until there was 2:05 left in the first period. The Admirals were able to cash in on that first shot, as Ryan Thang scored his first of the year, on a backhander from the bottom of the left faceoff circle that beat Griffins goalie Joey MacDonald five-hole.
In the second period, it was a combination of speed and a missed-assignment that led to the Griff’s second goal. While Roman Josi was defending Jamie Johnson entering the offensize zone, nobody picked up Chris Minard. Johnson found Minard streaking down the left wing, and he beat Jeremy Smith.
The third Griffins goal came off of a Linus Klasen turnover at the offensive blue line. The Griffins’ speed in the transition game helped big-time as Jan Mursak picked up an outlet pass and got behind the Admirals’ defensemen.
Teemu Laakso scored his second in as many games, with a blast from the point that beat McDonald over his glove. It was a power play marker with 4:54 left in the third period.
– Multiple penalties called on the Admirals while they were in the offensive zone. Don’t like to see that.
– Ads now 4-2 in games with two referees.
– 19 total shots on goal. One shot more than their season low (18 vs Abbotsford 10/23)
– Is Andreas Thuresson still on the team?
– And here’s another cheap plug! (actually, it’s not cheap…it’s a legit plug). Aaron Sims was recently a guest ont he 303:30, a podcast brought to you by the guys at the Section 303 blog. Here’s the link! Aaron’s bit starts around the 4:40 mark.