It’s nice to get a laugher in our favor every once in awhile. Even sweeter in front of a big crowd.
Maybe it’s the return of Chris Mueller and Matt Halischuk. Maybe it’s that they had a week to prepare for this game. Maybe it’s the green and gold face-off circles.
Whatever the reason, the Admirals ride off on their horses as victors, after an 8-1 win on Country Music Night over the Peoria Rivermen.
Blake Geoffrion led the way with two goals and three assists, and that line of Geoffrion, Linus Klasen, and Ryan Thang is on a roll.
Klasen and Thang both pitched in with a goal and two assists, and Andreas Thuresson played one of his best games of the season.
Geoffrion scored 42 seconds into the contest. After his first shot hit iron, he continued to pursue the rebound, skated around the net with the puck, and his next shot beat Ben Bishop from the slot.
Then the Admirals exploded for four goals in the second period.
Mark Van Guilder scored his fourth of the year, but Andreas Thuresson is the one that did the dirty work in front of the net. After Kelsey Wilson fed Thuresson the puck right in front of the crease, Andreas had a couple whacks at the puck. He ended up kicking the puck a few feet away from the scrum down low, and Van Guilder had a great look, and beat Bishop.
Thuresson got the next goal, but Geoffrion did the dirty work on his. Geoffrion carried the puck in down the right wing on an offensive rush, and held on to the puck as long as he could. The defensemen slid himself out of the play, and Geoffrion fed Thuresson who was crashing the net.
So it’s the 8:02 mark of the second period, and the Admirals were up 3-0. Anyone remember last home game?
Chris Mueller wasn’t here for it. And his shorthanded goal at 11:56 was the backbreaker for the Rivermen. With Kelsey Wilson serving a tripping penalty, Mueller and Halischuk were having a phenomenal forecheck. Mueller outhustled the Rivermen to create a turnover in the offensive zone, and a quick pass found Halischuk open near the bottom of the faceoff dot. The defensemen had the angle, and Halischuk tried a no-look shot that almost beat Bishop. The hard work continued, and the puck then came back to Mueller for his fourth shorty of the season.
Klasen scored off a perfect pass from a Rivermen defenseman to make it a 5-0 lead.
Thang took a hooking penalty 9 seconds into the third, and Mark Cundari converted on that power play to spoil the shutout.
Thang then got that one back with a power play marker of his own, cashing in on the rebound of Roman Josi shot on the power play 51 seconds later.
Goal 7 went to Geoffrion, on (guess what) another rebound. Linus Klasen had the first chance, skating around the defender and put a shot on Bishop from down low. The rebound went right to Geoffrion.
Goal 8 COULD have gone to Geoffrion. He had an open look in the slot, but elected to pass to a wide open Jon Blum, who was pinching down. That ended the scoring with 3:45 left in the game.
So eight goals is pretty good. How about two and a half fights in 19 seconds in the 3rd period with the game well out of hand.
I have to say it was half-a-fight, since Grant Lewis and Phil McRae got four for roughing instead of five for fighting.
Here are your lines:
Thang – Geoffrion – Klasen
Halischuk – Mueller – Bourque
Wilson – Van Guilder – Thuresson
Flynn – Bartlett – (Various)
– Lots of guys in the Peoria penalty box. Anybody feel that we were pretty close to a Tie Domi moment after the water bottle squirt into the stands?
– Mom? Dad? Mueller and Halischuk…..can we keep them? Pweeeeeese? Their mom and dad said it was okay. Please please please please please!!!! I’ll clean my room. I’ll say nice things about Aaron Johnson. PWEEEEEESE!
– Thuresson and Geoffrion producing….nice to see? Think Geoffrion has officially arrived, or still too soon to say?
– Lost in the circus, Dekanich had another great outing. After facing just 3 shots in the 1st period, the Rivermen made up a lot of ground over the second two periods, and his shorthanded stop of a Dave Spina breakaway was huge.
– Wilson’s fight. Do you like the hot-dogging? Man, the crowd ate that up.
– Man, you gotta feel bad for Ben Bishop. After what goal would you have yanked him?
– If you were a passive fan (which you obviously aren’t….but pretend that you are….) is this a game that’ll make you want to come back?
– Offense is great…..let’s not lay an egg tomorrow in Rockford, okay?