The Grand Curtain — Heat Sweep Admirals

The 2011-12 campaign came to an end Wednesday night, as the Abbotsford Heat scored the go-ahead goal in the third period to win the game and the series over Milwaukee.  The final score was 4-2, and the Heat win the series 3-games-to-none.

The Heat had seven power play chances, and scored on two of them….and a third goal came a second after a power play ended.

The Admirals scored a pair of power play goals of their own late in the second period to tie things up, courtesy of Kyle Wilson and Victor Bartley.  But a Taylor Beck yonking penalty (aka delay of game) led to a Dustin Sylvester power play goal at 8:47 of the third period, as his shot beat Jeremy Smith over his right shoulder.  Clay Wilson had the empty-netter with 30 seconds left in the third, to put the cherry on top of their series sweep.

—————

Notes:

- Lineup changes.  Ben Ryan, Scott Valentine, Jeff Foss out.  Victor Bartley, Joel Champagne, and new guy Anthony Bibetto in.

- Krys Kolanos?  A pair of assists tonight.  8 points in the series.

- Jon Blum took a boarding penalty 9 seconds into the game.  And then took another one at 3:34.  The Heat had 6 power play chances over the first 30 minutes of the game.  Tough to get stuff going when you’re skating down a man that often against a team as good as Abbotsford.

Breaking down the fourth wall here for a moment…….What else is there to say right now?  I doubt I have anything particularly profound to add.  As fans, we’re all emotionally invested in the team, and it is immensely sad when the grand curtain comes down.  You don’t need me to tell you that.  You feel it too.  But hockey season ends in heartbreak for every team except the champs.  It was a great effort to make the playoffs, and once there, they faced a pretty damn good team.  Wish it could have ended better, but that’s how it’s going to end this year.

And thus ends quite a remarkable season of Admirals hockey.

We’ll probably feel like taking a trip down memory lane in a few days.  In the meantime, I’d like to take this opportunity to say thank you for reading this blog and being a part of the Roundtable this season.  Thank you to everyone who has commented, or simply lurked in the shadows.  Thank you to every reader who has been with us from Day 1, and all that we’ve picked up along the way.  Thank you to our friends in Nashville, to the Ryan Ellis fan club who stood up for their guy, to friends and family members of the players looking for media coverage, and to anyone who still chuckles at our silly running gags.  And a special thank you to Aaron Sims — one of the all-time greats (and lead singer of Chili Sabotage).

That’s all for now.  Welcome to the off-season.

12 Responses to The Grand Curtain — Heat Sweep Admirals

2. Laura Liebl says:

After making the playoffs on the last day of the season it only seems fitting that they crashed and burned in the first round. A little history….in the 39 playoff eligable seasons the franchise has played they’ve made the playoffs an amazing 30 times. Of those 30 times they were knocked out in the 1st round an amazing 23 times, 6 of them sweeps including this season.

3. Jason Karnosky says:

Certainly, a “thud” ending to a rather remarkable, eventful and dramatic season. Funny, even now I still think Abbotsford was one of Milwaukee’s best playoff matchups. Take away Kolanos and the Admirals’ parade to the penalty box and maybe this is a different series. Usually, five-game series offer a great chance for an underdog team to win, but in the Western Conference with the exception of Chicago (hardly an overwhelming favorite anyway), all the higher seeds cruised in the first round.

I will offer some more thoughts tomorrow, but I am sorry to see the season end.

4. Griffin says:

Boo. I have nothing constructive to add. Just bummed the season is over.
    Scott Ford just tweeted good luck to the Ads on their way to Nashville. Who do you all think has been called up? Smith? Mueller? Why would they be calling guys up? They already have so many sitting in the press box.

Unfortunate end, it sucks watching the team lose anytime, and those losses to houston the last few times have been devasting to watch live in person but it kind makes it better in person give the team a just send off and congrats for the year. On the road its like well that’s that type of thing. While I tried to remain positive after game 2 I couldn’t help but already know that was my last game this year, and not sure anyone saw it but after the stars of the game were announced in that game Mueller skated out hucked a frisbee and acknowledged the fans if he too thought that it may be over. Anyways not sure if you guys will do an autopsy post or final grades/ thoughts post but if not all I can say is Mueller better be on a NHL team somewhere next year and Henderson if he is available better be brought back to milwaukee!

6. Ouch! says:

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye…

And so ends a frustrating season that at least gave us a taste of the playoffs. No surprise that it was a first round sweep that eliminated the Ads.

Now it’s just sit and wait time to see which cards we’re dealt in fall. Hopefully those who will be returning will spend the summer improving their skills, and remember the frustration of defeat to help drive them to victory.

7. Griffin says:

frontrowjon-that’s a nice story about Mueller but I certainly hope it wasn’t a fan acknowledgement a la Andreas Thuresson. I remember him skating around the rink last year soaking it all in as it dawned on him that he probably wouldn’t be back in Milwaukee the following year. Is Mueller signed thru next year? Is he an unrestricted free agent? Now I am even more bummed-I just got my jersey!

Griffin- don’t be bummed! Even if Mueller has skated his last game for us be thrilled to have a jersey of a player who more fans will remember years on down the road when they see ya wearin’ it around the BC. Like Santorelli (mike),Upshall,Pevs, or Pekka, Mueller is a gamer and left his mark on our organization. But ya never know he may be back here….

Ouch!

10. ONThere says:

That is a cool story frontrowjon-thanks for sharing! I love hearing about the behind the scenes stuff fans catch at the games. Griffin-I think Mueller is a restricted free agent if I am remembering correctly. He can’t just walk away and I cannot imagine the Preds/Ads will pass on resigning him-they’d be nuts not to. He was a bright spot all year. But if I am not right on his status, Ryan or Jason-please correct me. I, too, am sad the season has come to an end. There were a lot of interesting goings-on during the season. Losing the coach, lots of injuries, call-ups, 2 All-Stars, hot streaks, cold streaks, and a brawl! In addition to seeing what the organization does with its players, I think it will be really interesting to see what they do with the coach. Thanks for all the stellar coverage Roundtable! I wouldn’t get any news about this team if it weren’t for you!

11. Griffin says:

Thanks frontrowjon! I will wear my jersey with pride! And ONThere-I really appreciate the info. I would hate to see him escape just like Peverly. He really reminds me of Peverly who does great things now for the Bruins. O well, only time will tell. And I second the thanks to the guys here at the Roundtable. I love the site. Sometimes I feel like I post a little too much but I love my Ads and there aren’t really many options for a fan like me. Kudos for all of your hard work. Enjoy your summer!

12. Jason Karnosky says:

For those of you asking, Chris Mueller signed a one-year two-way contract before the season. It was worth $550,000 at the NHL, $65,000 at the AHL level where he spent most of the season.

Here is the paraphrased details from the Predators PR office last summer:
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. (July 7, 2011) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that forward Chris Mueller to a one-year deal. Mueller’s two-way contract will see him paid $550,000 at the NHL level and $65,000 at the AHL level.

One would think that Mueller will see another raise this season if he signs again in Nashville. Considering the amount of options with the Predators, I would think it unlikely that the Buffalo, New York native gets his well-deserved NHL only one-way deal from Nashville.

As a restricted free agent, Mueller doesn’t have a lot of options and he isn’t the type of player likely to see an offer sheet from another organization. By default, he might be back in Milwaukee for at least part of next season. However, that is just speculation. I think Mueller deserves a shot at full-time NHL status.